Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Dealing with heaters

Two days ago I was changing some water in the 20 gal tank. When I was putting water back I smelled something burning, it was the heater that I placed horizontally and when I removed water I passed underneath it. Never operate outside the water it says. So I had to remove it, smoking, and throw it away. It melted the plastic sucker. I checked the water and the temperature was fine and all the fish were good luckily. The last few nights have been very cold, so I had to go immediately to Wal-Mart to get another. The only brand they had was the Tetra Whisper heater.

It looks very nice; small, totally submersible and with no need to regulate it. The manual promises to keep the temperature of 78 F. So I paid the $20.

After a while of being installed the water was at 74, and the next morning the same. The room temperature was temperate, so this heater didn’t work for us. We had to go to a pet store and get a bigger one with a regulator.

Also we got a fancy digital thermometer for $9.72.

Ok maybe the temperature is a little high right now, but it is just matter of regulating it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

79.2 degrees? no that isn't too high for what fish you have in the tank.... i have mine set like at 78 and we got small fish for the most part... if you need any assistance on what to do just email me...